In this recipe Chef Lukas Leaf prepares Panfish Tacos from a fresh catch of crappies. Any type of white meat panfish will work for this simple and delicious recipe.
Complexity: 3 out of 10
Prep Time: 15 min.
– 1/3 head of cabbage
– 1/2 bunch of cilantro
– 1/2 of a fresh lime
– 2 Tablespoons of vinegar (white or red wine will work)
– 2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
– 1 Tablespoon butter
– Northwoods Seasoning (Penzeys Spices or your own choice)
– Mango Salsa (Lunds & Byerlys or your choice)
– 3-4 Panfish (crappie, sunfish or perch work best)
– Tortillas (preferably corn, but flour will also work)
– Optional – Wild Leek (ramps) – if you happen to be cooking outside in the early springtime and see them near you.
Prepare slaw by chopping cabbage into thin pieces. Add cilantro, vinegar, olive oil and mix thoroughly. Let stand for 10 minutes to marinate while you complete other preparation. Season fish filets, heat oil in pan over medium high heat and place filets in pan once sufficiently hot. Cook fish for 2-3 minutes and then turn over, add butter, and cook for another 1-2 minutes. While fish are cooking heat your tortillas in a separate pan, or over another heat source. Remove fish from pan directly into tortillas, add slaw, mango salsa and enjoy with your favorite beverage!